BANANAS!* is a suspenseful court room drama that examines the intricacies and injustices of the global politics of food. Focusing on a landmark and highly controversial legal case pitting a dozen Nicaraguan banana plantation workers against Dole Food Corporation, BANANAS!* uncovers the alleged usage of a banned pesticide and its probable link to generations of sterilized workers. Central to both the film and case is Juan “Accidentes” Dominguez, a Los Angeles-based personal injury attorney who, although iconic within the Latino community for his ubiquitous billboard ads, is unquestionably facing the biggest case and challenge of his career. At stake in the classic David vs. Goliath story are the futures of generations of workers and their families, as well as the culture of global, multinational business. If successful, the case could rock the economic foundations of Dole, and could open the US courts to other global victims, representing a new day in international justice.
- The Fight - an interview with director Fredrik Gertten
- "Super abogado" Juan Dominguez's television commercials
- Pictures from a Banana Plantation - a short film shot in Nicaragua
- Q&A with director Gertten at the Swedish premiere
- Two archival educational films from Oscilloscope's vault:
- About Bananas (1935), with animated vitamins and minerals!
- Journey to Banana Land (1950), an exotic travelogue tale